Compare to the Turin DF64E.
Video: Kyle Rowsell Review
Video: Hoon Coffee Live DF64P Demo
The Turin DF64P Premium is a grinder that is being introduced in summer 2022. The Turin DF64P is similar to the Turin DF64 and is not going to replace it. The DF64 is a popular product and will continue to be made, the new version, the Turin DF64P, is simply premium version and will be made alongside the DF64. The DF64 is a grinder that can be used for a range of coffees, while the Turin DF64P Premium is an espresso only grinder with less range in the grind size adjustment, which is designed to allow for more fine tuning of the grind size.
Difference between the Turin DF64 and the DF64P
- The DF64P has an anti-popcorn hopper, the DF64 does not
- The DF64P has a colored coating vs the DF64 which has a colored vinyl wrap
- The DF64P has wood accents, the DF64 does not
- The DF64P is an espresso only grinder, the DF64 can work for a range of coffees
- For grind size adjustment, the mechanism on the DF64P adjusts the bottom burr when grind size is adjusted, on the DF64 the top burr is adjusted.
- The DF64P costs more to produce and therefore has a higher price point than the DF64
- The DF64P has a more compact design, with the length and width footprint being 4.87” W by 7.37” L vs the DF64 which is 5.2” W by 10” L. Without the bellows on the DF64P is very similar in height to the DF64 at 11.5” vs 12”.
- The DF64P is not built on a slanted base like the DF64 is. When the design for the DF64P was being tested with a tilted base vs a non-tilted base. When bellows were used there did not appear to be a difference in retention. The bottom burr adjustment mechanism worked better without the tilted base.
Single Dosing Grinder with Low Retention
The Turin DF64P Premium is a single dosing grinder that has rubber bellows that can be pumped at the end of the grinding cycle to force retained grounds out of the grind chamber. With this functionality there is less waste as there isn’t a need to purge coffee from the grind chamber prior to pulling a shot.
The DF64P has a small anti popcorn hopper and can be used to put your dose of coffee into after it has been weighed out. If you choose to use the grinder with this hopper you can grind your coffee without worrying about beans “jumping” very high when the beans hit the spinning burrs.
64mm Burrs / SSP
The 64mm burrs in this grinder will provide for outstanding particle size distribution, which is a very important aspect of making the best flavored espresso possible. If you want to have a grinder with SSP burrs we recommend getting the DF64 original grinder due to an easier installation and calibration process.
Low Clumping Design
The grinder is designed to reduce clumping during the grinding cycle, which provides for a more even distribution of water during the espresso extraction process.
58mm Portafilter / Dosing Cup Holder
The grinder is designed with a portafilter rest that will allow the grinder to be used by either grinding into a dosing cup, or by grinding directly into a portafilter.
Bottom Burr Adjustment and Steady Burr Position
With the design of the top and bottom burr carriers, the distance between the burrs is designed to remain very steady and uniform throughout operation, providing for more uniform particle size distribution. With bottom burr being the one that is adjusted, the grinder can be taken apart and cleaned and put back together without messing up your grind size. It is also easier to clean the burr chamber compared to the Turin DF64 design, as cleaning involves simply removing two bolts with a metric hex wrench vs spinning a collar numerous times.
Wood accents have been added to this grinder to give it a premium look and feel. The lid on the grinder as well as the top burr carrier holder are made with wood.
- Always adjust the grind size with the grinder on and the burrs spinning.
- Always pump the bellows at the end of the grind cycle, while the grinder is still on and the burrs are still turning.
This grinder will be sold in other countries with other names, such as Solo DF64P, G-iota DF64P and probably others.
Video: Taking Apart the DF64E
The DF64P is a little different than the DF64E, but the build is quite similar, so this video will give you an idea of how it is put together.
Height: 11.5” without hopper or bellows
Height: 13.75” with bellows only
Height: 13.5” with hopper only
Height: 15.5” with hopper and bellows
Weight: 14.4 lbs
Adjustment: Stepless adjustment, with bottom burr adjustment, not top burr adjustment
Motor: 250 watts
Accessories: Comes with durable plastic dosing cup and rubber bellows
Volts: 110, 15amps with correct hertz for USA wiring. We do not sell 220 volt versions.
Warranty: One year manufacturer warranty, with optional upgrade to three year warranty.
View more information on www.df64p.com
Haven’t received the grinder as of yet. Due Jan. 3, 2033.
I've really enjoyed the step up this grinder provided over my last setup. Really compact, sleek design with everything you need and nothing you don't. However it does seem like it needs some more refinements. It "walks" when grinding so I had to apply non-slip pads to it to keep it from moving around in the counter. The black coating also arrived slightly scratched in some places, and using your actual portafilter for dosing scratches the forks, no matter how careful you are. It still creates a bit of a mess, not nearly as much as the DF64, but with some RDT it's fine. Last design consideration is the number dial for the grind. The way it's built into the body there's a slight slip all around it, which lives to collect stray coffee grinds but it's very hard to clean. I would have happily paid another $50 for this grinder if it meant these issues could be resolved from the manufacturer.
Awesome machine that gives me the perfect grind with near zero retention. Couldn’t be happier with this purchase. Quality at a very reasonable cost.